Hamilton County homeowners and property owners are required to have a plumbing permit and inspection upon all new and replacement water heater installations.
Why are permits and inspections necessary?
Water heaters that are installed improperly can:
- result in structural water damage
- catch fire
- release carbon monoxide into your home
- cause serious injury or death
If a hardware store (Lowe’s, Home Depot etc.) or a contractor is installing your water heater, make sure they obtain a plumbing permit.
If you, the homeowner of a single family residence, are installing the unit yourself, you may be eligible to obtain a homeowners permit. Call 513-946-7854 for more information.
Water Heater Inspections
During the inspection, the plumbing inspector will:
- inspect the appliance to see that it is compliant with the Ohio Basic Plumbing Code
- check the water pressure and/or discharge
- check applicable safety devices
Scheduling an inspection
Hamilton County Public Health will send you a postcard with the permit information and our phone number. Just call the listed number to schedule an inspection.
Health District staff have scheduled the second Saturday of every month to inspect water heaters for customers who are not available for a weekday inspection. Request a Saturday inspection when you call to schedule.